1. My body got up hours before my brain.
2. For pastors, leading worship is exhausting.
3. And sometimes, so is coffee hour.
4. Maybe I’m running late because a small child crawled into bed and I had to pretend to be sleeping so that they’d get back to sleep before I get up.
5. Or I’m sleep deprived and forgot.Why Your Pastor Might Not Hear You On Sunday Click To Tweet
6. My own to-do list is neverending and too ambitious.
7. You’re only just telling me now.
8. Or maybe I forgot.
9. You actually have to stop talking long enough for your pastor to put it in his phone.
10. So I had the wrong date or place.
11. Or I have no clue what “meeting” means when the day arrives. Only that it runs from 12-1:30.
12. That thing you’re asking me to do is a big ol’ project, not a simple request.
13. You thought telling my spouse is just like telling me.
14. I can only hold a couple things in my head at once.
15. But really, I’m a little distracted by all these other people.
16. I didn’t realize that long personal story was actually a request.
17. You thought that telling me your idea was the end of your work and I thought you were volunteering to take it on.
18. But really I’m thinking it sounds like “one more thing”.
19. Your idea may be good, it might be for us, and it may be urgent, but it may not be good for us right now.
20. My love for you is not related to my meeting your expectations.
21. I honored your request by listening and honoring you at my most exhausted and frazzled moment.
22. But seriously, I probably just forgot.
23. There are many other reasons why I don’t do everything asked of me on Sunday morning. But you get a better success rate when you put it in writing.
Or better yet, just text me Monday.